Monday, July 14, 2008

Past Artwork

A long black ribbon of tar winds through the American landscape. With a casual glance to the side one may notice the flowing shape of a metal icon in a state of peaceful rest. It is the life and soul of these symbols in 20th century America that I have choosen to consume my interest.
In order to pursue this study my travels have brought me from the coastal redwoods of California throughout the Southwest and settling in the Four Corners region. I feel my work captures a glimpse of the great American dream in a gradual state of decay. I have found and taken a special interest in the beauty and poetry of these objects which others have discarded and consider useless junk.

Nothing is more symbolic of the advancement of the American Dream than a truck. In the American West the truck became a key component in helping transform and develop the land for agriculture, mining and the transportation of everyday goods. I have found these images reflecting more than just a personal story of individual people, but our society as a whole.

The American West was settled on the back of a pickup truck. Only the train had more of an impact on the settling of the west.

No comments: